Wednesday, May 23, 2007

ELL and Programs

The class in which I am completing my junior field experience in has many previous ELL students. Most of my students have either moved here from another country or are the first generations of their family to be born in America. The class I have been assigned to is a fourth grade class in Elizabeth, I do not have any students that are in the ESL classes offered here. After discussing with my teacher the background of my students, she informed me that there are three students that do not speak English in their homes. This information really shocked me since I do not have students in ESL classes. After questioning how this was possible she explained that they have already completed the ESL classes recommended. She also told me that the ESL instructor of the school works really well with the students; this allows the students to learn English fairly quickly. Most of the students involved in the ESL program that start from kindergarten usually conclude the program by third grade. I think having such an effective instructor in the ESL program is highly important and beneficial to the students. ELL should not be rushed into learning English. However, schools should be motivated to have programs that accelerate the learning process in an effective way. As future teachers we should look into our surrounding schools to be sure they have adequate and beneficial ELL programs.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Danielle,

Do the three students in your school with families that do not speak English at home speak English in school? Also, you mentioned that the ESL students usually complete the program by third grade. Does the school provide an equal amount of assistance for older students learning English?

I agree that a future teacher should be concerned with the type of ESL classes offered for students, especially if they are interested in teaching in diverse areas. I believe that ELLs should be consistently exposed to the English language, taking into consideration the pace and ability level of the student. In the school where I am performing my junior field, many ELLs spend the majority of the school day in an English-speaking classroom. These students then spend time in an ESL classroom when the English-speaking students are in their world language class. However, depending on the extent of the English language skills, some students require the majority of the day to be spent in ESL classes with two instructors to work with them. Once students return to their regular classrooms, teachers are able to see a dramatic improvement in their language skills, and they are therefore able to fully participate in class.

Danielle Hornacek said...

Lauren,
The students in ym class that do not speak English at home so speak English in school. They actually speak it so well that they are not in the ESL classes anymore. However, I was unaware that these students did not speak English in their homes until I started asking questions about ELL students within the school. This is what leads me to believe that my school carries a great learning environment for ELL students.
To answer your second question about the older students, they do offer equal assistance to the odler students. I am sorry if that is how I made it appear. What I meant, was that the ESL program is so strong and beneficial that students beginning the program from kendergarten are typically speaking English very well by third grade and out of the ESL classes. However, for students that may not pick up the langauage as easily or do not enter the school until after kindergarten, do receive great assistance in the ESL programs until they have compeleted the classes.
I also agree with you that ELL's should be consistenly exposed to the English language based on pace and abaility. When I wrote that schools should be sure to have highly qualified ESL teachers and programs, this could mean that there are more ESL teachers available for the classrooms so students do not have to leave the classroom for as much time.