Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Test

One item that I truly enjoyed last week in class was taking the Multicultural Educations and Equity Awareness Quiz. There are a few items which I found appalling. The first item which was amazing was that the two richest people in the U.S. own more personal assets than the 60 poorest countries combined. This is absurd because there are obviously poor countries and yet the richest people in America are living luxury lifestyles. Another ludicrous question and answer in this packet pertained to the powder cocaine and crack cocaine and the amount needed to be convicted of possessing. The amount of powder needed to get convicted is 500 grams and at the same time only 5 grams of crack. It just so happens that most white people have powder and most African American people have crack. This I view as a racist type of law and unjust. Why I ask is the amount not the same? A final question which stood out was that children raised by single mothers attain, on average the same level of education as children raised by two parents. The majority of us I say probably said that children raised by one parent receive 2 years of education less than a child raised by two parents. I guess all I can say to this is good job there single mothers! This information was all very shocking to me but at the same time interesting.

No comments: