Friday, May 25, 2007

Newspaper Article

As I read the newspaper article “Leaving the Wild, and Rather Liking the Change,” I realized how the Nukak could be compared to ELLs. It amazed me to think of how the Nukak could be so out of touch with the modern world, but then I thought about ELLs and the similar feelings they must have. When ELLs come to an American school not being about to speak the language, they feel as isolated and confused as the Nukak felt after seeing an invention such as the car. According to the article, “the Green Nukak said we could not keep walking in the jungle, or else there would be problems.” As I read this line, I thought about ELLs and their move from their homeland. Just as the Nukak were thrown into a new world, young ELLs are forced into school systems and styles of life that are drastically different from what they are used to.

I also found it interesting that the Nukak’s eventually became dependent on the modern civilization, “ensuring not only that they never return home but also that they never learn how to live in their new world.” This can be seen as similar to enabling ELLs. Though most ELLs want to learn the language, some teachers do them a disservice by allowing them to complete class work in their original language, and not encouraging English language skills. However, even though ELLs want to learn the language just as the Nukak wanted to learn Spanish, they generally do not want to lose their traditions and native tongue. People must accept the traditions of others, while still helping them to learn the language of their new country.

I suggest that everyone read this newspaper article. The Nukak’s migration to the modern world is fascinating and it is interesting to see how ELLs may face the same hardships.

1 comment:

pilar said...

The Nukak story saddens me very much, as a student of foreign languages I fear the Nuka language will be lost in no time together with their values and culture.
Their values of self reliance supported them as independent beings. Now, they are becoming dependent on hand me downs from the government and the people around them.
I recognize their need of running away from death at the hands of the drug guerrillas, at the same time I feel sorry for them for learning so quickly the comforts of expecting others to do for them.
In my view, on one hand, the Nukak have a mix of innocence and ignorance, on the other, they have some plans for the future and one of them is to preserve their language while educating their children in a different society. GOOD LUCK!!
Pilar