Thursday, May 31, 2007

Helping ELL students with math

http://www.nwrel.org/nwedu/11-03/report4/
This site is designed specifically for teachers of ELL students. What really stood out to me is that this service can be customized to meet a specific schools need. The information provided runs in clusters. For example kindergarten through second grade is grouped all together as well as third through fifth grade and so on. They provide various workshops, assignments, videos, and online chats. The contact information of the person in charge is provided at the bottom of the site for anyone interested in learning more. I also took notice to the comment posted by a participant of the online class forum. She said:
“What a difference [this course] has made already!” She went on to reflect, “Creative problem solving had almost been taught out of my students. Now my students understand that math can be done using various strategies and I have seen a huge improvement in comprehension and problem-solving skills from those students who were struggling at the beginning of the year.”

2 comments:

M. Tomich said...

Good site and info--thanks Keith!

Elizabeth said...

I found this website very useful for myself as a teacher to be. I gained many helpful little hints on what types of lessons work well with ELL students. I plan to use this website and similar website to help me become adjusted to being a teacher. I liked that you are able to communicate with other teachers and the person in charge of the website. I sparked my attention when it talked about teaching ELL in mathematic classes because this is what I will be doing come September during student teaching. The district I am in has a wide variety of cultures and mainstreams a lot of ELL students. I like that this website is a support system for teachers because others are going through the same scenarios you are and it helps to get feedback on what your doing is good and what can be changed.
This website is going in my favorites.