Tuesday, May 29, 2007

United Kingdom's way of teaching English

At first I was just searching different games for ELL learners. I was quite intrigued that I found many and they all seem quite useful. However, when I looked more into the website, I realized that this was not United States based. This website is from the United Kingdom. I was amazed when I went to the core of the site http://www.bbc.co.uk/
That the site had a link on how to learn English! After clicking on the site, it seemed like any other English website. There was quizzes and interesting facts about the English language. This site gave examples of how to use the “English language today.” I never came from a different culture so I do not have the skill to know and understand two languages. I know have an understanding for these English language learners. I knew it was hard, but to have a site for adults on how to teach English really puts learning the language into perspective. This site even has different ways to learn English, such as by songs, pronunciation, and phrases to choose from. From random searches, I found: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/wordsandpictures/index.shtml
This website gave more games on how to teach others the English language. I was quite shocked that the majority of the every site I went to, mentioned something about learning English!

1 comment:

Keith Lorfing said...

I was disappointed with some of the links contained in this website. I focused on the different links that were provided. I first opened the one called digger and the gang. It looked useful because it provided activities for different age groups in the content areas of English, math, and science. I tried an example in the math category. The activity had nothing to do with math. I then tried an activity in the area of English. It dealt with vocabulary and other English but the directions were very unclear. Next I looked at the magic key site. This link seemed useful because it contains a game, worksheet, and teacher resources. The activity required you to arrange the words in the correct order to make a sentence that made sense and slowly uncover a picture that went along with it. I felt that this link was useful for ELL students. This website also contains curriculum links that are useful for teachers. The activities listed on the left side of the home page are useful. These include long vowel sounds, high frequency words, and consonant clusters. It is important to check out the links yourself and try them before having students use them to make sure that they are of good quality.