Monday, June 11, 2007

A Frustrating Conversation

As I said during our first class, I did not have any ELL students during my time student teaching. I did, however, come into contact with a non-English speaking custodian. Every day this sweet woman would greet me during hall duty, but she never said anything more than "hello." During one of my last days student teaching, she came up to me trying to tel l me something about the lock on the bathroom door, but I could not understand a word she was saying. I asked another teacher if she could understand the custodian, but she could not either. The custodian was becoming very frustrated over the fact that neither of us could understand her. Finally she gave up and angrily walked away. I felt bad for the woman, but there was nothing I could do. I knew that I had to share this on our blog because it was one of the only student teaching experiences I had that had anything to do with our class.

1 comment:

M. Tomich said...

Wasn't there one technique or tip you read about in all of these materials that could help you understand what this "poor" woman was trying to tell you?