Monday, June 18, 2007

Using Power Point for Effective Lessons!

I had a very successful experience in using MS PowerPoint to plan the lecture components of some lesson plans for some high school biology classes in my recent Junior Field experience. While I would not plan to use this format every day in the classroom, nor for an entire class period of lecture (as with any type of lesson, using the same format all the time leads to a stale classroom), I found that I was able to engage students in the lesson by using Power Point as a method of addressing differential learning styles and ELLs within the classroom. Additionally, since today's students are subject to a constant bombardment of interactive media, using Power Point leads to a familiar type of experience for the students. I used an outline format, trying to keep the format, wording and presentation simple, and since I find that many of today's students seem unable to pull the main points out of reading; I hope that, by example, I can aid in this learning process (the ability to outline main ideas is crucial for today's college students). I shared the printed copy of the slides as a study guide for students, but not until the completion of the chapter (not wanting students to rely on the outline in place of taking notes). I also included slides that were a type of guided note-taking format, including the outline format and blank lines to fill in key concepts or vocabulary. Inclusion of graphics, charts and graphs assists not only visual learners, but also aids ELL students, as does the simplified outline format. I was able to include links to animations and websites; again the thought being that the more visual associations with seeing the words with pictures and diagrams, along with having the students write the words during guided note-taking, assist all types of learning styles. Using a remote device to control the slideshow, while stopping to discuss and involve students in the lecture, and using the laserpointer to highlight the screen details, all allowed me to place myself in the classroom (and walk around), as opposed to standing in front and lecturing. Another technique, which especially aided ELLs, was that I was able to use color fonts to highlight parts of words and to visually group similar concepts and vocabulary. Finally, the internet is filled with free, downloadable templates of lesson plans and interactive games which can be adapted to any curriculum (I used an interactive Jeopardy game as a chapter review session); one of the ELL students in my classroom came up to me and was enthusiastic in his praise for the lessons I had created. He told me that he finally "got it", and that this technique was so helpful to him. It was such a rewarding experience for me as a teacher!

No comments: