Monday, June 18, 2007

Hints for Science Teachers of ELLs

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/teachingtoday/subject/help_ELL_science.phtml
This website, from a textbook publisher, contains a great outline of tips for science teachers of ELLs (many of which are applicable to all content areas) under its "Subject Specific Resources" section, entitled "Helping English Language learners in the Science Classroom". The outline format of the section makes it easy to read, and while I did practice some of the suggestions prior to reading the site, I did learn some new hints, especially under the section concerned with laboratory techniques. This is the part of the science classroom experience in which I feel least prepared to teach, since this is the part of the classroom experience in which a teacher may easily lose control of the students. The hints offered, such as breaking the lab into clear, concise steps and using pictorial aids, would help the ELL, along with assisting in maintaining control of students during this important learning experience time in any science classroom. The hint about not forcing the ELL to speak in front of the class gave me pause, since I had a situation in which a student was speaking very softly (during my Junior Field experience). The other students told me I should "make him speak up", and I quickly realized that the student in question had a heavy accent and was probably not comfortable in speaking to the class. I quickly defused the situation, but realized that I need to be more aware of the potential for these situations in advance. Although this student actually volunteered to speak (I did not force him to answer), I need to address methods of encouraging the tentative ELL student in the face of some insensitive (albeit normal for the age range) high school students. As the teacher, I may set the tone by example and by courtesy expectations for my classes.

No comments: