Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Junior Field Has Come to an End!

My junior field was an experience I truly will never forget. I went into my junior field not knowing if I still wanted to teach. I did not enjoy my education classes I took previous to junior field, so my expectations were low. I had emailed my cooperating teacher about a week before starting, asking questions about what they were learning, the school's schedule, and other questions pertaining to school activities. I had no response, so the first day, my expectations were even lower. Yet when I met my teacher I smiled and pretended I was happy to be there. Then I found out that I was going to be with two teachers instead of one, due to my original teacher not being tenured. My first teacher walked me to the classroom and said here it is. He was my original teacher that I was assigned and I emailed. Not trying to be rude or disrespectful, I asked him very politely if he had received my email. Right away without any hesitation he handed me a folder with all the information I had asked for and even more. I was relieved. I know that is a small detail, but to me I was attempting to get a head start on things I was not even sure I wanted to do and became disappointed with not receiving a response. My negative attitude I originally had towards my teacher changed with his eagerness to learn about me and his attitude towards teaching. Not even ten minutes later, my second cooperating teacher walked in the classroom, introduced himself, and was asking questions about myself right off the bat. They were interested in what I was looking to achieve and how they could help. My first week went well, I still was not sure if I wanted to be a teacher, yet I loved the atmosphere. As the second week my attitude changed little by little. I loved the students, and I could not have asked for better cooperating teachers. They enjoyed what they did, and did not mind going to work every day. The sixth grade is what made my time enjoyable. They were so interested in me and asked me so many questions, and always wanted me to teach instead of my cooperating teacher. By the end of my second week my attitude changed 100%. My third week was sad and exciting at the same time. I was excited to start my summer yet sad to leave some of the students I had grown attachment to. Some of the girls made me cookies and cards. One group of the "popular" boys made me a banner which I was so pleased to receive. I still am not sure if teaching is for me, but I do know that this experience was one of the best I have ever had, and will never forget it.

No comments: